Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Spring Animu Impression [part 2]

Continuing my not-so early impression of Spring 2010 Anime series, from this entry.



Giant Killing
MAL/Official Site
Studio production: DEEN
comments: Sports animu! Giant Killing tells about a footbal club, East Tokyo United who's currently in terrible form, sitting down the table, with many internal crisis to add to the damage. Then comes the former club legend, Tatsumi stepping up as manager to bring the club back to their glorious days. Wow, to be honest I'm getting really excited with the show. I mean, when is the last time we had a football-themed series? Some of the stuff in the show also kinda reflects similar thing in real life - the story itself looks similar to Shaolin Soccer. ETU as a club was like Leeds, except that Leeds still haven't found a way back to the Premiership. Club crest and jersey like AC Milan. Team motivation like Arsenals (5 years without trophies LOL). Training ground like Manchester united (Island of Dreams). Training methods like Mourinho (unique approach). Die hard fans like Arsenals (some plastic, glory hunting with knee-jerk reactions). Tatsumi itself is like Barcelona's Pep Guardiola (club legend becoming coach). The animation and character art might not be appealing, but overall I'm really enjoying the show because of the very thing the show is about - football. Btw, did it read DEEN?
verdict: 4/5 (must watch)



Ichiban Ushiro Daimaou
MAL/Official Site
Studio production: Artland
comments: Transfer student in a magical academy, Sai Akuto strives to become a high priest, instead was predicted to be a "Demon King" as his future occupation, and hence sending false impression to the rest of the academy. While at that, he was having a hard time with his class president Hattori Junko, watched over by an android called Korone and a lot of underground conspiracy shit going around. So far it is an interesting series, looks promising with lots of actions and magical fight involved. With the way he dealt with the delinquent and the huge mana pool he had, it's no surprise if Sai is getting closer to a true Demon King. Anyway, sometimes the jokes are silly, but they really make me laugh, especially when it comes to Korone trying to tease Sai :3
verdict: 4.5/5 (must watch)



K-ON!!
MAL/Official Site
Studio production: Kyoto Animation
comments: Hey it's K-ON!!, do I really need to say anything anymore? Yes I probably do. Third year, and Houkago Tea Time still with their random activities after school. Recruiting new club members, practicing after school and all the random things we'd found on slice of life show. Regardless, I still enjoy watching the show as I do for the first season, though I do hope for some songs that could replicate Don't Say Lazy. The OP and ED are nice, but imo not quite up to par with season 1's songs.
verdict: 3.5/5 (watching)



Senkou no Night Raid
MAL/Official Site
Studio production: A-1 Pictures Inc.
comments: Japanese War propaganda, and Kuomintang (KMT). In the middle of these, exist a forgotten organisation called Sakurai Kikan, consisted of members with supernatural abilities (force field, telepathy, teleport, mind reading...). Back to the history book eh. With real past events as the background added with some special powers, I'm kinda intrigued to see what the series has to offer. As well as how their powers work. It seems like there's a pre-requisite for their abilities, sorta like remuneration in Darker than Black. Some ambiguity in the story but hopefully those will become clearer in future episodes. Fine graphic, and the setting kinda remind me of Canaan.
p/s: this series really give a hard time for the fansubber because of all the chinese/russian language dialogues lol
verdict: 3/5 (watching)



Working!
MAL/Official Site
Studio production: A-1 Pictures Inc.
comments: Somewhere in Hokkaido, there is a cafee with somewhat "interesting staff. A newcomer Takanashi who's totally not interested in anything "above 12" (omg); a 17 year old baby faced midget middle schooler Poplar Taneshima; the middle-aged, lazy ass manager Kyouko; katana-wield, Kyouko-obsessed floor chief Yachio; a ridiculously androphobic Mahiro who can hardly resist from punching men, and workers Satou and Souma. Welcome to Wagnaria. All I can say is, thumb up for the comedies, totally made me laugh all the way to my stomach. Takanashi dealing with his "small" fetish is one thing, then seeing him always having a grudge with Mahiro because of her violence and fear toward men is another thing (morning punch really made me laugh). Totally enjoyed the series :D
p/s: I'm loving the catchy OP song. Can't get enough of "someone" lol
verdict: 5/5 (definite watch)


That's pretty much all for Spring 2010 series for me. There are some other series that have yet to be properly subbed, but I guess I can leave those for later.


not making in the list:

Ikkitousen Xtreme Executor - One of the series I don't mind delaying. Been watching the previous 3 seasons and I do want to watch a further sequel, but then I'd better marathon this altogether at the end of the year. Time is not at my side at present.

KissxSis - I'm fine with the OVA, but when it comes to the TV series, somehow I feel like the series kinda turn me off after trying 2 episodes. Not going to bother watching the rest of the season.

Mayoi Neko Overrun: Again, I try to watch the first 2 episodes but I just couldn't get myself to watch anymore than this. I guess I'm no longer fond with typical harem romance with generic characters all around. So yeah, dropped.

6 comments:

chanz said...

working is dat good? gotta try it..need comedy to release my stress

seraph said...

well, it depends on individual I guess. I love most comedy slice of life series (as long as they're interesting), and Working definitely is one of the better, in my book. Good for some laugh :3

shinwa said...

Giant Killing is not disappoint for sure ;D

Rid said...

can i expect romance in Giant Killing?

rayneholde said...

i'm in for daimaou [ i kinda enjoy sai akuto's chara ], working and k-on [ obviously xD ]. not a sports fan so giant killing is off my list.

i would like to issue senkou no night raid into my weekly watch list as well but somehow there's too much series i am watching for this season alone [ counting backlogs aside ], thus i had to put it in the waiting list for the time being. well its kinda more fun to marathon series such as this anyway xD

seraph said...

@shin: yeah, and it seems to offer something different than the usual sports anime.

@Rid: Romance in Giant Killing? Most likely not lol.

@Mana: Working is easily my favorite show this season, along with B Gata H Kei ;3