Pages

Saturday, April 03, 2010

The Resonating Fate



Just giving my quick impression on Tri-Ace's new rpg, Resonance of Fate (Japanese title - End of Eternity). To be honest, the game sorta arrived at my home at the wrong time, because I had my Literature Review and Research proposal to be submitted in mid April. But since it's already here, there's no way I could resist from NOT touching the game XD



In the first place, I didn't put much hope into the game because I had so much disappointment from the uber expectation I had with Tri-Ace's previous installment, Star Ocean 4. So I treat the release of this game lightly, and only bought it a few days before March ended. Then I started playing...and my impression: HOLY SHIT. I am totally awestruck by the game. Words probably aren't enough to describe how impressed I am with Resonance of Fate, almost everything about this game so far overwhelmed me. The graphic was simply stunning, beautiful, put whatever word you can here. Remember the beauty of Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria? Tri-Ace adopt similar visual style again, but even better with this game. I am left speechless the first time I got to control my character and went to explore the town. The scenery is just...unbelievably stunning!

I'm currently at the start of Chapter 3. The story seems weak so far with little development (still can't figure out what's the importance of stuff they done in Chapter 1 and 2 tbh), but then I can't say much about the plot without finishing the game. So I'd comment on some of the game's feature and combat system. I see some stuff from Radiata Stories brought here, the day and night feature if you remember. But it doesn't seem to be that important, apart from which NPC and quest are available.

The gameplay? Well, how should I describe it. The battle system are fun but can be hard, simple as that. Or should I say, the learning curve for beginner is steep that you really need to take some time practicing over the tutorial before you are ready to go to battle. But even then there's no guarantee that you'll survive each battle unscratched. There's always unexpected thign that can easily cause Game Over. Simply put, it's as hard as VP2 gameplay looks like, but can be much easier once the player mastered the mechanics. So how do the battle works? Well, too complicated for me to explain. The most similar system I could think of is Eternal Sonata. Think of it as a mixture between real time and turn based, with each player takes turn to damage enemies (via shooting/knife/grenades etc), and can moving around the battle based on coordinated path. Difficult to explain, a video might be good to demonstrate that.


Although this video is missing some important stuff like Smackdown and a better Tri-Attack visual. But the basics are there. Moving in linear path, shooting with so many acrobatic manouvers, collecting Resonance point for Tri-Attack, up or down the enemies, broke their parts (hm..sounds familiar?)... And Hero's gauge. I freaking hate this shit, sometimes we can easily screw up getting Condition Critical D :

But overall, I had a tear of joy playing the game :D



ps: oh and I absolutely love the costume selections. Leanne ♥♥♥

*images courtesy of Gamespot*

6 comments:

HafisUN said...

hu3..
Xbox 360 not a very popular console in Kelantan..

seraph said...

The game is also available for PS3 too :D

Rid said...

the gameplay is good, but the story sux, i dont understand the ending,no, even the whole story.

i hope u can summarize the story for me, and make me understand.

seraph said...

Uh, I dunno if I can even summarise it right lol, even I find it hard to understand what the heck are they trying to convey as far as Chapter 6 are concerned.

I guess we should expect this kind of thing. Tri-Ace was never "that" good with developing proper storyline :3

HafisUN said...

ps3 is my hunt next months XD

seraph said...

Enjoy your haul soon :3