Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Winter series impression, part 1

I'd usually post my season impression after 3 or 4 episodes (it's really not a good thing to judge a show solely by the first episode, as proven by e.g. Ga Rei Zero), but I'm planning to do my Winter 09/10 impression earlier because February is apprroaching and I'll probably be busy by then.



Baka to Test to Shoukanju
MAL/Official site
comments: a show with interesting concept of class ranking and summon battle to determine their learning environment, I like where the show is going as far as ep2 going. The humours and randomness can be funny too, I just hope the jokes isn't getting lame and repetitive like a certain Seitokai. Though the summon battle between them hasn't caught my interest much, yet. Despite the generic character design with cliche high school setting, overall I'm satisfied with the anime, so I'll probably still give it a go.
verdict: 3.5/5 (will continue watching)



Chu Bra
MAL/Official site
comment: Ok, somebody tell me what in the name of crap is this. No offense to those that like the show. I tried to watch the 2nd episode to see if my view on the show could be improved, but unfortunately it wasn't. Nonsensical panty flash everywhere while claiming to be an underwear advisor (maniac I would say). Thing's seems getting interesting later in the 3rd episode, but I don't think I could bother myself to watch this show anymore. I love boobs/certain kind of ecchi, but I guess this is just not the type that I like.
Verdict: 1/5 (dropped)



Dance in Vampire Bund
MAL/Official site
comment: Being a work from SHAFT, we know exactly what to expect: animation unique to theirs. Although by having them adapting a manga, I have a feeling that something is not going to be right (see Negima). Episode 1 start off with quite good but too lengthy scenes showing people arguing over the existence of Vampire before some of the characters made their appearance, which by itself is not significance at all as it tells nothing about some other major characters (eg Akira). I was led to think that Shaft was going for original story, but apparently it seems like they still stick with the manga plot with slight alterations, like the first 2 episodes. Not a bad thing to have, no?
verdict: 4/5 (will watch)



Durarara!!
MAL/Official site
comments: Thanks to TLR I had some spare time to read the novel a few weeks ago. Then comes the anime, and all I can say is...epicness. A MUST.WATCH for any Baccano fans. Aside of the story, Durarara shares much similarity with Baccano, from the introductory OP song (not as awsm as Gun n Rose, but still good) to the animation styles (both from Brain-Base after all). So if you love Baccano, there really is no reason why you shouldn't love Durarara. Awesome OP, promising story, great animation, inspiring dialogue. The ED might not fit everyone' taste though. With vast amount of characters in the series, Durarara tells the story about peoples in Ikebukuro, with each episode focusing on a few characters, with some of the scenes shown again from different character point of view. In episode 1, I would have preferred Black Raider vs the Thugs as they did in the novel, but vs the kidnappers in the anime is not bad either, plus they still include the flying head part.
p/s: boobs
verdict: 5/5 (absolute must watch)




Hanamaru Youchien
MAL/Official site
comment: Episode 1 got me lol pretty much. Cute anime with simple art, good for some laugh and relaxing moments. A bit strange but fun to watch, really. At least this looks much better than Kodomo no Jikan. Gainax sure did something different this time.
ps: I wonder what's the age gap between the student-teacher in this show, 10 years is just not possible as claimed by Anzu's mother :3
verdict: 3.5/5 (watching)


that's it for part 1. In the end of the day, I probably going to watch only 2 or 3 of above per week (except Durarara which is a must) and leve the others until they finished airing. Oh how I love Honours :(


next to come:
-Ladies vs Butlers
-Omamori Himari
-Ookamikakushi
-Seikon no Qwaser
-Sora no Woto

0 comments: