Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bayonetta - I'm a Bi... I mean Witch

It's surprising that this game is listed to be shipped within 5-15 days on Play-Asia despite being a relatively new game (though right now it's already listed to be shipped within 24 hours). As a result, it took me over a week to wait for this game to actually be shipped, and arrived at my home last Monday. And I finished the game a day later...lol. Nevertheless I still have a lot of things I have yet to do, like the Alfheim challenge (pretty much like the Secret Mission in DMC), Witches fragments collections, Hard/No Climax mode difficulty as well as some other minor achievements.


Bayonetta​ (ベヨネッタ) is an action game for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, directed by Devil May Cry and Viewtiful Joe creator Hideki Kamiya at Platinum Games in cooperation with publisher Sega. Set in a fictional city in Europe, the game centers on its eponymous character, Bayonetta, who uses pistols and magical attacks to defeat enemies. The game has five difficulty settings; its two easiest settings contain a game mode playable with only one button, similar to a mode used in Devil May Cry. Its developers designed its characters with modern style and fashion in mind, and composed for it a largely upbeat and feminine soundtrack.


Links:
Bayonetta@Wikipedia
Bayonetta official website


Hm..I'd better made this one short.
Coming from the developer of DMC, you can pretty much expect that Bayonetta shares much similarity with the former. Though I'd say Bayonetta (person) is far more powerful than Dante because she can do what Dante do right from the start (Air Hike anyone?), most of her purchasable skills are fairly cheap, and she can summon some nasty monsters and torture devices to..well, torture your enemies :) She can even put guns/claws on her toes and still able to shoot them at will, wtf?



Fun game with lots of features offered - lots of different combos; Witches Time to slow down time as you dodge attacks; Wicked Weave as finishing in combos, and summoning demons with her hairs to finish bosses off. Kinda funny to think that Bayonetta's clothes is made of her hair, and hence when she use Wicked Weave and summons demons (both which use her hairs).....you know what I mean lol. The gameplay probably shine the most during these bosses fight, in which more optional movements and tortures options become available. The wooden horse torture is nasty :3


Bayonetta video showing various aspects of the gameplay, against one of the higher ordered enemies. And the torture moved I lol'd the most when I play :3

Overall the game is fairly short (15 Chapters + Prologue/Epilogue, it shouldn't even took more than 10 hours to finish Normal mode) with noticeably lesser normal mob battle, making the bosses fight looks more significant. Despite the short time I had with the game, I thought Bayonetta is really fun to play, it offers a fresh take to action game with the likes of torture finishing move and Witches Time. Though if you want some seriousness in battle, then perhaps DMC is a better choice, but it still worth giving Bayonetta a shot. Getting Achievements in Bayonetta is easier than DMC too, although I have to say that the Alfheim challenge can be very frustrating for someone with average experience in action game like myself. Maybe I need to practice more, but for now I'd put this game on hold.

Anyway, Bayonetta remind me a little to the world of Umineko. Witches and humans exist in separate dimension (Purgatorio anyone?) and cannot interact unless they cross barrier, although witches and everything from their realm are still free to destroy the objects in human world. To some extent, Bayonetta (person) herself remind me to Beato, seeking her real identity after awakening from 500 years of slumber.



ps: If Kratos fight with brute force and Dante fights with style, then I’d say Bayonetta fights with some sort of elegance.

0 comments: