Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

2010 at a glance: seraph's top 10 anime

Time for another top 10 list. Despite the tight schedules I had throughout the year, somehow still filled with lots of series in my 2010anime calendar. So as the tradition continued, this is my personal top 10 anime aired in 2010. Do note that the list was solely based on my interest toward the series, regardless of how good or bad the anime was perceived by the mass.


10. Sengoku Basara 2

MAL/Official site
Genre: Action, Historical
Number of episodes
: 12
Studio Production: Production I.G.
comments: I've long been a fan of Samurai Warriors/Sengoku Basara series, I mean the games. I was a bit skeptical when I heard that Sengoku Basara is getting anime adaptation, but in the end I was just worrying over nothing. The first season was superbly done, and come 2nd season, it was even better. Better because I find the struggle of the warlords against Hideyoshi Toyotomi was better developed than against Nobunaga Oda in season 1. The humors and ridiculous acts were toned down a bit compared to the first season, but overall Sengoku Basara 2 still kept me entertained with the epic fights.


9. Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan

MAL/Official Site
Genre: Action, drama, historical
Number of episodes:
12
Studio production
: DEEN
comments: This series received a really mixed impression, both on good and bad extremes. I personally resides on the former. Nevermind the bishie characters, slow development and vague story, and although I'm not a huge fan of samurai-themed anime, Hakuouki somehow managed to captivate me. Sometimes the animation looked poor, but other times it was excellent with good lighting and color choice to match the atmosphere. Maybe the fact that it was produced by DEEN has "something" to do with the mixed reception.


8. Kaichou wa Maid-sama

MAL/Official Site
Genre: Comedy, romance, school life
Number of episodes
: 26
Studio production: JC Staff
comments: Not really a fan of shoujo series, but this show was an exception, just like Kimi ni Todoke. The animation was subpar typical to the generic shoujo anime, but what I like the most about the series is the interaction between Misaki and Usui - always a joy watching Misaki getting blushed over Usui's teasing. I actually started knowing about Ayumi Fujimura since watching Seiken no Blacksmith, but it was Kaichou wa Maid Sama that I started to have a liking to her strong and versatile voice (can't believe she voiced Niche in Tegami Bachi).


7. Shinryaku! Ika Musume

MAL/Official Site
Genre: comedy, slice of life
Number of episodes: 13
Studio Production: Diomedea
Comments: It was another simple comedy slice of life series, and it was also among those that I enjoy the most this year. Example of manga adaptation done right.


6. Mitsudomoe

MAL/Official Site
Genre: Comedy, slice of life
Number of episodes
: 13
Studio Production: Bridge
Comments: it's funny, it's perverted, it's stupid, yet it's freaking hilarious. There's really not much for me to say because the art is rough fitting the gag theme, while the story is simple - it's all about the daily life of the tripletFutaba, Hitoha and Mitsuba at school and home, and each episodes promised ROFL moments that never failed to amuse me.


5. Angel Beats

MAL/Official Site
Genre: action, comedy, supernatural
Number of episodes:
13
Studio production
: PA Works
comments: When I watched the first few episodes, my initial impression was the show looked generic with interesting afterlife theme. But it was until the background of the major characters were revealed that I finally see the beauty of the series - humorous, yet it was sad and touching at the right place. There are lots of stage performance in the series by the Girls Dead Monsters, although the songs didn't exactly the type that I would thoroughly listen to. The only gripe I had with the series is that it was too short that I feel the final few episodes were rushed


4. To Aru Majutsu no Index II

MAL/Official Site
Genre: action, comedy, drama, sci-fi
Number of episodes: 13
Studio Production: J.C. Staff
Comments: When science and magic cross, the story begins. The first season, which goes without saying went into my 2008 top 10 anime, prompted me to read the novels a bit. The second season was much anticipated, and I'm quite satisfied with the adaptation as far as the first 11 episodes went. Good mix of amusing+serious scenes, introduction of more characters revolving aroundTouma , while pretty much maintaining the high standard of quality as seen in season 1. There are some inconsistencies in the animation (hello Oriana), but overall it's not something I'd worry over.


3. Amagami SS

MAL/Official Site
Genre: romance, school life
Number of episodes
: 26
Studio Production: AIC
Comments: An example of a romance school life anime done right. There really is nothing particularly amazing about Junichi and his interaction with the girls in each arc - ordinary high school student and generic fairy tale romance ended with happy ending with each girl; but I guess that kind of normality, plus the unique and diverse personality of each girl were the factors that made the anime interesting in my eyes. The only minus point for me was the noticeable decrease in animation quality in certain episodes.


2. Bakuman

MAL/Official Site
Genre: Comedy, Romance, Shounen
Number of episodes
: 25
Studio Production: J.C. Staff
Comments: When I first read the manga around 2009, i never expected it to be animated so fast. And it was animated splendidly by JC.Staff. I like the show because it's unique in its own way. It's shonen, it's slice of life, it's romance, it's school life, but it also has the deep passion and enthusiasm that made it...special. And one of the best ED song in 2010. Usually I don't really bother reading the ED song translation, but it was different forBakuman, the meaning was so deep, reflecting all the effort that Saiko and Syuujin put to be a mangaka.
p/s: the first season is far from over, yet the 2nd season has already been announced o.0


1. Durarara!!

MAL/Official site
Genre: Action, Shounen, Supernatural
Number of episodes
: 24
Studio Production: Brains Base
comments: Before started, let me say that I totally love Baccano, and when the first episode of Durarara was aired, it instantly reminded me of that. Completely different story, but the way it was conveyed- the animation, music, character introduction etc was so similar that I instantly fell in love withDurarara. Even if the series doesn't share any resemblance with Baccano, I'd still like Durarara because the story and characters are unique, interesting, intriguing, humorous... what else. Simply put, everything about this series fits my taste.



Honorable mention: Shinrei Tantei Yakumo

MAL/Official Site
Genre: Mystery, supernatural
Number of episodes: 13
Studio Production: Bee train
Comments: Good premise, but the anime was disrupted by lots of plotholes and weak character development. I really like both of the manga, they are far more detailed in explaining the mysterious cases, something that the anime severely lacked. Still can't find the novel though..

2 comments:

chanz said...

yeahh seraph choose Durarara!! no. 1~ mine no. 2 though. :D

seraph said...

indeed, one hell of an amazing anime, more so because I so like the way it was presented :D