Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

topical ten - seraph's 2008 anime

Finally its done, although very late. I'm taking my time until now mainly due to the ongoing Fall series like To Aru, Tales of Abyss, Toradora and Gundam 00, to judgie which show worth my pick. So here goes. Reminder: these are merely my personal choice.

10. Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu

Airing date: 2008-07-03 to 2008-09-25 (Summer)
Number of Episodes: 12

Voted as my favorite Summer show, why not making this into the list. Unfortunately, last season Summer were only filled with average shows, and Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu is the better one in my book, beside World Destruction. As previously ranted in my pre-Fall entry, while this show is one that I truly enjoy throughout, I still am disappointed with the character development, by this I refer to Yuto-Haruka relationship. We see the same thing going every week, and on top of that, the plot itself is full of predictable stuff. Well at least it has one of the better ED song, one of the few catchy song I like after those in Lucky Star (and later Kannagi).


09. Mnemosyne - Mnemosyne no Musume-tachi (OVA)

MAL/Official
Airing Date: 2008-02-03 (Winter)
Number of Episodes: 6

The only OVA that made it into the list. Why do I like Mnemosyne? First, it's Kugimiya+Mamiko Noto factor :)) Second, awesome OP and ED theme by Galneryus. Third, the concept of story itself are intriguing - the survival of the Immortals and Angels, driven by the Seed of Time from the Yggdrasil Tree. Enriched with violent, gore and nudity to some extent. In the end of the day, the story still left a little bit of plotholes, leaving the viewer bewildering on the future of mankind in the series, but overall Mnemosyne is still a satisfying show, going from one episodes to another (each of which released monthly).


08. True Tears

MAL/official
Airing date: 2008-01-05 to 2008-03-29 (Winter)
Number of Episodes: 13

Let's see...it has been almost a year since then, so my memories is kinda foggy. True tears is one of the better romance series last year, at least I like this better than Kimikiss (both series end at the same time, around Spring). With the triangle romance between Shinichiro, Hiromi and Noe, both this and Kimikiss has a slight resemblance in term of ending, but I definitely favor the final pairing in True Tears. Character development is average at best, but it is backed up by nice story and ideas (I always like Noe's chicken song :)) Animation quality is surprisingly very good too.
oh, a bonus, in case anyone missed: True Tears 300 parody :D


07. Shigofumi: Letters from the Departed

MAL/official
Airing Date: 2008-01-05 to 2008-03-22 (Winter)
Number of Episodes: 12

Another show which plays with our mind. Shigofumi is one of the better Winter series that set my tune for the show right from the first try on episode 1 (I STAB JOO). Story wise, the way it psychologically deals with a matter of life and death is always intriguing, but overall the plot is not that heavy and easy to understand. A mailman (Fumika) whose job is to send a letter from the dead to the receiver who is alive, and each of the letters (Shigofumi) has its own purpose. Each episode open our eyes to the reality of the world - the likes of corruption, hypocrisy, bullying, loyalty and honesty etc. Oh not to forget, OP song by ALI PROJECT is win :)


06. Ef A Tale of Melodies

MAL/official
Airing Date: 2008-10-06 to 2008-12-22 (Fall)
Number of Episodes: 12

hm...should I say anything more than that already mentioned in my top Fall series? SHAFT successful effort on Ef A Tale of Memories on 2007 continued with Ef A Tale of Melodies. One word: Unique-ness.


05. To Aru Majustu no Index

MAL/official
Airing Date: 2008-10-04 to ?? (Fall)
Number of Episodes: 24

The only ongoing show in my pick. Easily one of my best Fall series after Ga Rei Zero. Very good blend of thrilled action, dramas and comedies with great animation and music choice (coming from the same JC Staff that made Shana, what do you expect). And...science! The show put a good input of general science into the series, although some of the application are as ridiculous as the theorycraft in Chaos;Head. The characters are lovable too, especially Index and Misaka. No, don't deny it :)
Overall the story is divided into several arcs, which sometimes made me wonder if the past villain will be simply forgotten once they're defeated (with the exception of the current Accelerator, Misha..). Hm..Tales of Vesperia vibes?


04. Toshokan Sensou

MAL/official
Airing Date: 2008-04-10 to 2008-06-26 (Spring)
Number of Episodes: 12

The concept of this show is unique. So unique that as mentioned in my entry about this show stated; "If we were observed by people whose world has no MEA or LFA, we would have looked absolutely ridiculous". The use of military actions to show how both MEA (Media Enhancement Act) and LFA (Library Corp) try to achieve their ambition by any means emphasize the theme further.
In term of character development, we saw how the story focus mostly on the 2 main characters, Kasahara and Doujou, both of which are quite similar in term of attitude. Don't expect great romance between them, but it still exist, subtly. Graphic-wise, Production I.G. nicely applied cell-shading into the animation, which surprisingly looks good in my eyes.


03. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2

MAL/official
Airing Date: 2008-04-06 to 2008-09-28 (Spring)
Number of Episodes: 25

OK, this is probably the most anticipated show in 2008, albeit overhyped. Code Geass season 1 left a great impression toward the viewers, including myself. Come the second season, I was left jawdropping in almost every episodes. Yes, each episodes never failed to impress me, seeing how miracles are made out of the impossibles. Some describes this show as trainwrecks - a disaster. Almost everything just went so smoothly (or at least went according to what the fans want it to be) - JUST AS PLANNED. But I don't mind any of that, because what more important for me is the fact that I enjoy the show. As well as the ending.

02.Ga Rei Zero

MAL/official
Airing Date: 2008-10-05 to 2008-12-21
Number of Episodes: 12

Just like Ef Melo I suppose. Nothing more to add than what already stated in my Top 5 Fall entry. A series full of awesomeness, end of notes.

01. Spice&Wolf

MAL/official
Airing Date: 2008-01-08 to 2008-03-25
Number of Episodes: 13

Heh, I guess I didn't see this coming....NOT! Economy, trading and profit show for the win. So what should I add after all the stuff I wrote on my S&W review?
That Horo is my waifu :3

4 comments:

Kevinus said...

code geass, garei zero, and spice and wolf definitely shined in 2008
i'm waiting for to-be-released originial storyline FMA.
meanwhile, kurokami and regis are pretty fun

seraph said...

Maria Holic is good too :)

Anonymous said...

You just committed a crime by not including Toradora. >D

seraph said...

^
lol, I would love to put Toradora, but unfortunately until now I am still not satisfied with the animation quality of Toradora.