Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Fall 2010 anime series - the impressions [Part 1]



The obligatory post at the start of new seasons. This season is no different than the past seasons, despite the mounting honours works that I need to complete by the end of this month. In fact, I find myself watching even more number of series than last season -_-

Since there's a lot of series in my watchlist, I decided to split it into 3 parts.




Otome Youkai Zakuro
MAL/Official Site
Genre: Action, romance, supernatural
Number of episodes: 13
Studio Production: J.C Staff
Comments: Somewhere in Meiji period, much prejudices were directed toward spirits/youkai, however efforts have been made to make it possible for human and spirit to co-exist, and it's down to selected army lieutenants teaming up with half-youkai girls to carry this task. If you ask me, the musical fights is the weirdest (or unique, you judge) thing about this show, although in the end I find those songs calming. The character arts might be off for my taste and the the plot is also somehow predictable, but in general it's not a bad show to watch, and also amusing at times. I like Zakuro as a character, it sure is fun to watch her raging toward Agemaki :3 Her voice also kinda matched her tsundere personality.
p/s: Reimu
verdict: 3/5 (watching)




MM!
MAL/Official Site
Genre: Comedy, romance
Number of episodes: 12
Studio Production: Xebec
Comments: A show with a masochist (hardcore) who tried to cure his severe condition, a cross-dresser who's proud with his beauty, an androphobic girl with bad experience with mean, and a semi-violent senior with superiority complex, but can be kind at times. Quite ironic for a man named Sado to be a maso, huh? Coming from Xebec, the art similarity with the likes of Kanokon/Toradora etc was pretty obvious. Seeing the first episode is all about Sado showcasing his extreme conditions, at first I was kinda hesitant to continue watching, but things looked better in episode 2 (I'm in for the comedy), so I guess it's not a bad show to put in my watchlist.
p/s: Jun Fukuyama, again? Busy schedule this season.
Verdict: 3.5/5 (watching)



Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai
MAL/Official Site
Genre: Comedy
Number of episodes:
12
Studio Production: AIC
Comments: One of the show I'm looking forward to this season, for obvious reason. I only read a bit of reading through the novel (and manga) a few month back), which pretty much summed what I saw int he first 2 episodes afaic (shitstorm coming). Although the concept is similar with Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, overall OreImo gave me better impressions, seeing how Kirino trying hard to be herself, while Kyosuke also trying his best to help his little sister, in many ways. The culture shock expression on Kyosuke's face when he found Kirino's collection and when he visited the stores are priceless. Enjoyable show with lots of amusing moments (added with strings of delicious seiyuus), a definite in my watchlist :3
p/s: why must otaku always linked with some mahou shoujo series?
Verdict: 4.5/5 (must watch)




Shinrei Tantei Yakumo
MAL/Official Site
Genre: Mystery, supernatural
Number of episodes: 13
Studio Production: Bee train
Comments: Finally a show that's really relevant to my interest. Mysterious supernatural events occurring in each episode, and it's up to the main character, Yakumo Saitou to solve them thanks to his left eye ability to see ghost and spirits, while the main heroine, Haruka Ozawa kept tagging along despite being coldly treated by Yakumo. The first 2 episodes so far seems to use the same style in which mysterious event occurred, followed by some detective play and Yakumo deduce things to solve the case. Kinda typical for a mystery/detective show, but I like how the show went so far. Nicely animated, and some of the bgms were awesome.
p/s: Yakumo and Haruka remind me to Luke and Cecilia (Sacred Blacksmith), more so because Haruka's seiyuu :3
Verdict: 5/5 (absolute must)




Yosuga no Sora
MAL/Official Site
Genre: drama, romance
Number of episodes
: 13
Studio Production: feel.
Comments: This seems to be your average school life/drama/romance harem show. As an adult VN adaptation, I kinda expect some sort of fanservices to be added, although not the explicit tits as shown in the first episode. Added to that is some twincest, yuri, a bit of plot twist I think feel. studio did a nice job animating this show, given this is their full project. Love the Clannad/True Tears feeling that the OP song gave, thanks to Eufonius. Nevertheless, the scenery and characters were beautifully drawn (remind me of True Tears+Onegai Twins), and although the story develops rather slow and a bit predictable, but overall I do enjoy the 2 episodes I've watched so far.
p/s: the last scene from episode 1 is so deceiving!
Verdict: 3/5 (watching)

2 comments:

rayneholde said...

yosuga no sora is full of surprises, and i really love the setting of the series... kinda reminds me of myself;yourself, h2o and higurashi.

and speaking of zakuro, +100 for that 'exorcism' song. i really love it :3

seraph said...

yeah, I love YosugaSora's art, beautiful :3

Speaking of Zakuro, I'd love to listen to the full version of those exorcism song, if there's any lol.