Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

[xbox360] Devil May Cry 4




This is going to be another short review I guess. I am one of those people who are late in grabbing this game because, at first I am planning to buy DMC4 on PS3 (because from other review I read, your hand are much at ease in handling the combos). But then it seems like I need to stall my plan for ps3 (at least not within this year). So, time to order this game from Play-Asia. I think it took me less than a week to finish the game, well I'm playing in Human mode after all, there's no difficulty at all throughout the game in this mode.

Gameplay: 9.5/10 (AWESOME)
well, what more comes to mind when we talk about DMC series? An epic action game from Konami with lots of amazing combos and tricks to pull off, for the sake of completing mission or just merely for self satisfaction. There are 2 playable characters, Nero and the well-known Son of Sparda, Dante. Both character has different style of play, where Nero is more into speedy combos with the ability to grab and drag enemies with his demonic right arm (aka Devil Bringer), while Dante have the ability to use ALL his style from DMC3. Trickster. Swordmaster. Gunslinger. Royal Guard. On top if that, all these style are interchangeable in real time, unlike DMC3 where we need to set up the style before starting a mission. Which means, Dante is capable to pull off those ridiculous SSS rank combos much easier than Nero. Well at least I find it much easier with Dante than Nero, given the wide range of styles and weapon he can switch.

Story: 7.5/10 (Satisfying)
Hm...to be honest I don't give a damn about the story this time, although I still understand what's going on :/ Oh well at least Trish and Lady made their cameos.
Wiki gives a complete summary of the story, exactly what's happening in the cutscenes from start to finish.

Graphic/Music: 8.5/10 (great)
I find the landscapes and buildings beautifully designed, fit with the theme of the game. I especially love the tropical part after we passed the stage in the church. Although one might argue that there's not much graphical difference between this and previous DMC, especially when the screen brought you to the inner surrounding of the buildings. The music composition also has not disappoint me ever since the first installment of the game.

Others:
Some of the secret mission are extremely hard to accomplish, or frustrating in some cases. Like collecting 99 red orbs within time limit, using the appeared platform to cross the area whilst the annoying floating monsters (Mephistos) keep you accompany, execute consecutive Royal Guards, and some others. One must really be familiar with the mechanics of the game in order to accomplish all of the Secret Mission. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to familiarize myself with all the skills/tricks, so I only did a few of the SM.
There's also survival mode unlocked upon beating the game in Devil Hunter mode, called Bloody Palace. I'll just say that it's bloody hard to go all the way to floor 101.
Achievement (xbox360 exclusive features) - only real hardcore would be able to accomplish 100g for DMC4, I suppose. Looking at the list of Achievements, I can say that it is as crazy as Battle Trophies achievements for Star Ocean 4.

i think that's all I have to say about this game. Great game overall, especially for those longed for some hack and slash action.
kthanxbye






0 comments: