Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Impression Series: Fall 2011 [Part 1]

Fall season is finally underway to mark the end of 2011 anime calendar, with typically massive list of anime series being aired. And as the tradition that always continues, it's time for the impression series. Somehow I found myself watching quite a lot of series this season, which I rather want to avoid.



Bakuman 2
MAL/Official
Genre: comedy, drama
Studio production: J.C Staff
Number of episodes: 25
Comments: Lets start with the sequels. Bakuman, one of my favorite manga, one of my favorite show in 2010, and now after one year of absence, here comes the second season. Weekly serialization in Shonen JACK (JUMP) begins for Mashiro and Takagi; with new editor Miura; new assistants Katou, Ogawa and Takahama; (re)new rivals in Niizuma, Fukuda and Hiramaru. There’s really not much for me to say about the series considering the fact that everything but the plot remained the same with its predecessor, so my impression is as high as it’s always been. One thing for sure, Bakuman always kept me on my seat every time I watch an episode. Having Tommy February6 (TF6, TH6, The Brilliant Green, Tomoko Kawase….just how many names did she use?) singing the ED is an added bonus for me : )
verdict: 5/5 (must watch)



Shinryaku Ika Musume 2
MAL/Official
Genre: comedy, slice of life
Studio production: Diomedea
Number of episodes: 12
Comments: Another sequel on the list. Again like Bakuman, I don’t really have anything more to expect from Ika Musume 2 other than constant laughing, seeing how Ika Musume “still trying” to continue her invasion and conquer humanity who cruelly tainted her sea, but always ended up forgetting those very missions due to many reasons. The animation still pretty much the same, and most characters from season 1 returned with Ika Musume being the center of evil, as always. One thing that doesn’t feel right for me is the OP song which I thought feel out of place. I mean, I prefer something catchy like the OP song from season 1.
p/s: Not too fond with the use of squid related thingy on the sub.
verdict:



Persona 4 the Animation
MAL/Official
Genre: comedy, drama, fantasy, horror, mystery
Studio production: AIC ASTA
Number of episodes: 12
Comments: And the BIG one that I (and many others) anticipated the most this season. Seriously a short impression post like this is not enough to describe how EXCITED I was when I watch the first episode. Being a huge fan of the game, I had a rather high expectation toward the anime after watching the trailer some months ago, because it indicates that P4 won’t that crap that is Trinity Soul. And good thing P4 didn’t flop. It really epitomes what I want a video game adaptation to be – 100%, no, 90% identical to what it was adapted from. Simply put, I am thoroughly impressed with Persona 4 the Animation. The BGMs (nearly everything from the game were used), the calendar/weather, player status (probably not that relevant), TV World, funny-looking Shadows... Now what’s missing so far is Social Links. The last time I was so impressed with a video game adaptation was when Valkyria Chronicles went into anime, and it was amazing (despite some plot shift/twist). Back to P4 anime, in all honestly not everything was perfectly done from the fan’s point of view. The characters, their relations and roles weren’t even properly introduced in episode 1, and so far the overall story seems moving at a much faster pace than I would expect (now by episode 3, we’re already moving to “save Yukiko” mission). I guess this happened because they can’t fit everything into 12 episodes (if what I heard is true. But seriously 24 episodes is much better). That being said, Persona 4 the game is actually more loved for its “gameplay” rather than “story”, so yeah, some might not find the anime interesting. Another thing for me to note is that the fight was forgettable. Obviously I don't expect them to show stuff like Maziodyne, Thunder Reign, Hassou Tobi, Megidolaon, Pralaya etc (which in truth didn't really have any special effect or anything), but I would hope the persona to do more than a simple slash in battle. You know, to make the fight looks flashier. Overall, it was a really well adapted anime for me, and what made me really love the show is because the reference from the game were everywhere, and they (especially the BGMs) really brought my memories back to the day I played the game, years ago.
p/s: TRIAL OF THE DRAGONNNN!!! (c) Chie Satonaka, 2011. Blame Hiimdaisy video for this.
verdict: 5/5 (MUST watch)



C3
MAL/Official
Genre: comedy, fantasy, psychological, romance
Studio production: Starchild Records
Number of episodes: 12
Comments: Cube, Curse, Curious. Truth be told, I don’t know what to make of this series. Watching first episode, it reminded me to KoreZombie (I thought it was DEEN product) and Bakatest. Then as I watched 2nd episode, it somehow become a huge clusterfuck that I literally went “what the effin smoke?”, having no idea what to expect from the series anymore. Sometimes it was a comedy with clichéd fanservice, sometimes it was a dark-themed fightfest with dreaded torture tools (uh…BAYONETTA?), and another time it was us audience caught in Fear’s monologue (did someone from SHAFT crew that did Ef a Tale of Melodies invade Starchild Records or something?). Intriguing to say the list, but sometimes I feel that the story was “forced” into us with things happening one after another with little to no explanation. Obviously I don’t expect everything to be handed on a platter since only 3 episodes were aired, but the way all those fights and chaos were shoved down our throat is too much for me to take, the flow is missing for me. One thing I give the anime credit though, is the nice usage of BGM, as well as the neat dance in the OP song. But I’m not sure if I will put this show on my weekly watchlist. Most likely on my On-Hold list…
verdict: 3/5



Ben-to
MAL/Official
Genre: comedy
Studio production: David Production
Number of episodes: 12
Comments: The title tells over half the thing you need to know about the series. So, this anime is about an average high school student, Satou You who was stuck in the middle of war zones (aka grocery stores) due to people fighting fiercely over half-priced bento at various stores in the city, and later found himself joining Half-Priced Food Lovers Club, trying to win the battle and the ultimate prize of…HALF-PRICED BENTO. At the same time, he gets in trouble with all kind of girls and grocery customers such as the “shameless pigs”, “Wizard”, and fellow “wolves”. Okay... Japanese and their ever-present weird ideas and themes... I mean, they are risking their limb and lives for half-prices lunch box. Bento Box!!! Damn it I’d rather have 10 Zimbabwe dollars than the brawl for cheaper Bento!!! Anyway as dumb and ridiculous as it sounds, I had a good laugh watching the show so far, hence not a problem for me to continue watching.
verdict: 3.5/5 (watching)



Shakugan no Shana III (Final)
MAL/Official
Genre: action
Studio production: J.C. Staff
Number of episodes: 12
Comments: How long has it been since Shakugan no Shana S2 ended…? Anyway I honestly couldn’t remember much about season 2 (aside from the fact that it has a lot of unnecessary filler, and I do remember those awesome Sabrac fight and chase part), even less about the ending. The Christmas scene at the beginning of episode 1 thankfully restored some of my memories of season 2 finale. And things has only getting crazy since then. Yuji disappeared (as in the fate of all Torch like him), gone forever, carrying along with him all the memories and proof that he existed in the world. That was until it was revealed that Yuji is not totally gone, as his vessel is used to contain the leader of Bal-Masque. That was a nice twist to mark the beginning of what would be the final installment of Shana anime series, with a confrontation between Shana and a revived Yuji seems inevitable. J.C Staff already did very well in maintaining the high animation standard used since season 1, so I hope they also will not disappoint me in term of story for this final season.
p/s: Damn nice OP and ED song.
verdict: 4.5/5 (must watch)


to be continued.

0 comments: