Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

The Impression Series: Winter 2011 [Part 2]



continued from part 1 of my Winter 2011 impression.


Kimi ni Todoke 2nd Season
MAL/Official
Genre: comedy, romance, shoujo
Studio production: Production I.G.
Number of episodes: 13
Comments: Starting with the release of episode 00 which recaps season 1 from Kurumi's point of view, Kimi ni Todoke returned with its second season. This series is one of the few shoujo series that I enjoyed watching, mainly because of Sawako's interesting and naive personality, added with the all around comedy in the series. Sometimes it did annoys me seeing the indecisiveness and hesitation that often brought Sawako and Kazehaya's relationship to nowhere (made me almost scream "just give the damn chocolate already!"), something is definitely needed to harden them. And now that a new student Kento Miura is in the mix, it is interesting to see how farther can they advance in this second season.
Verdict: 4/5



Level E
MAL/Official
Genre: Comedy, Science Fiction
Studio production: David Production, Studio Pierrot
Number of episodes: 12
Comments: From the creator of Hunter x Hunter and Yuyu Hakusho, comes Level E. The story mainly focus on the many aliens species that unknowingly (to human) come to earth for various reasons, and among other, a fateful encounter of a normal high school student with one of the alien who happened to be a prince of planet Dogura. I've never really read the manga, but it looks like a real deal. What I like about the series is that at first glance it looks like a serious series. Well, in a way it is indeed a serious, but for much of that seriousness, there's a lot of funny scenes that never failed to amuse me, in particular whenever Yukitaka get into argument with Prince Baka (lol@name) which often turned into a spontaneous jokes. Then there's Edogawa Miho, a seemingly normal highschool girl but always full of curiosity and did something unexpected. same with other aliens - serious, yet not serious. So yeah, the story was intriguing, but above all, it was the comedy that actually made me want to watch the series even more :3
Verdict: 4.5/5



Dragon Crisis!
MAL/Official
Genre: Action, fantasy
Studio production: Studio DEEN
Number of episodes: 12
Comments: Oh wow Rie Kugimiya? I definitely missed her squeaky voice, it's been awhile since I heard her voicing a loli main character lol. Anyway, Dragon Crisis focus on a middle schooler, Kisaragi Ryuuji's adventure to protect a red dragon girl he and his cousin Erika Nanao discovered after seizing a relic "Lost Precious" from an organisation named FANG. Not much to say about the story, but it develops at a relatively fast pace, and I'm looking forward to see how will Ryuuji deal with his past as a relic handler, and how he will use it to save Rose, the red dragon girl. Hearing Rose (with her Kugimiya voice) kept on calling "Ryuuji" really remind me of Shakugan no Shana/Zero no Tsukaima (because of the name, obviously). Nice animation (it's DEEN after all), and looked even more intricate when the power of the Lost Precious or the Dragon's power was unleashed. Kugimiya+Yui Horie+Yukana, there's nothing more I'd asked for. Love the OP song too, looking forward to Maruga's appearance :3
Verdict: 4/5



Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka?
MAL/Official
Genre: Action, fantasy, comedy
Studio production: Studio DEEN
Number of episodes: 12
Comments: SEEERAAPHIM-SAN!!! lmao I didn't self-fap, did I? OK, another light novel adaptation. Watching first episode, and I instantly fell in love with the show. Watching 2nd episode, and I was like, omfg lol name. The setup is no doubt a harem alright, but it was a unique one - a zombie (undead?), Aikawa Ayumu who looks for his murderer. His saviour, the necromancer of the Underworld, the emotionless, silent Eucliwood Hellscythe (aka Eu). Haruna, the tsundere chainsaw-wielding Masou Shoujo (she remind me to Rita Mordio of tales of Vesperia, really). A "slightly rude" kyuketsu/vampire ninja that live for swordplay Tsunamegaeshi, Seraphim (aka Sera). And one more to be introduced soon. The story which mostly deals with Ayumu trying to find his murderer, often filled with endless comedies - the daily lives and banter at his house filled with those girls with supernatural powers, Ayumu's mind vision of Eu speaking cutely as his imouto, and even the battle or unexpected events can turn hilarious. Needless to say, it's an interesting combo of moe+supernatural harem+comedy which will definitely kept me watching. Oh, and the gore of brutal body split.
p/s Wow it's DEEN again! I...just can't believe it @.@
Verdict: 5/5



Fractale
MAL/Official
Genre: Fantasy, adventure
Studio production: A-1 Pictures
Number of episodes: 11
Comments: At first I wasn't planned to try this, but upon watching the first episode, I was mesmerized by a few things - interesting setting in an island far in the future which people can interact via "Doppels", the "Fractale System" which governs the island, the mysterious girl Phryne which was chased for unknown reason and met the main character, Clain; and Nessa, another girl who could help Clain to search Phryne who suddenly disappeared after their short encounter. The world in Fractale was...strange and intriguing. The animation art was neat and not overly complex. Overall there's still not much that I know about the series, but it looks promising and so far I enjoyed watching the first 2 episodes.
Verdict: 3.5/5


That's all for Winter 11 for me. 11 series in my watchlist, but I'll probably cut 1 or 2 series depending on how well the series goes. But overall I'd say that I'm enjoying many of the shows : )


Most likely not included in my watchlist:

Hourou Musuko
MAL/Official
Comments: Aka Wondering Son. The boy want to be a girl, and the girl want to be a boy. The boyfriend was actually his girlfriend and his girlfriend was actually her boyfriend. Mindfucked. The theme of crossdressing/transgender among maturing boys/girls was definitely intriguing, but somehow my mind was having this sense of rejection that prevent me from watching this further -_-

Rio Rainbow Gate
MAL/Official
Comments: I don't plan to watch this in the first place but since I occasionally visit the Poker section in Gosugamers, that kinda spark my curiosity about this series. WAtched 2 episodes, not much to comment: fanservices and ridiculous luck. I'm kinda interested to know about Rio's journey on collecting the rest of the Gate Keeper's card, but seeing how lousy each game was played...

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
MAL/Official
Comments: Aka Puella Magi Madoka Magica. The title already suggest that I should not bother watching it, but for some reason i still give the first episode a try because, well, SHAFT factor (and Kitamura Eri factor too). Plus it was repeatedly advertised in Arakawa over and over again, so it kinda ignite my curiosity, a little. Anyway, the OP song is probably the only think that I enjoy from the series so far. Mahou shoujo isn't really my kind of thing after all -_-

Freezing
MAL/Official
Comments: boobs and massive pantsu-flash, nuff said. I like the OP song though.

0 comments: