Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Last Rebellion - the first strike

Taking a brief break from Nier, I decided to try another game that I bought alongside - Last Rebellion for PS3.
Last Rebellion is a console role-playing video game developed by Nippon Ichi Software and Hit Maker and published by Nippon Ichi Software in Japan as well as in North America and Tecmo Koei in Europe exclusively for the PlayStation 3. The game was released on January 28, 2010 in Japan, in North America on February 23, 2010, and in Europe on March 26, 2010.
The game takes place in the world of Junovald which is governed by the will of two gods: Meitilia and Formival. Meitilia is the god of death, presiding over the destruction of life while Formival is the god of life, presiding over the birth of all life and the creation of everything. Meitilia is said to have blessed two types of people - Blades and Sealers - with special powers. Blades have the unparalleled power to destroy things physically while Sealers have the magical power to destroy souls.



Title: Last Rebellion
Platform: PS3
Genre: rpg

Developer: Nippon Ichi Software


Honestly I'm not sure what influenced me to buy the game because the general reviews did not give positive evaluation toward the game. Anyway I am currently about 8 hours into the game (just before going to Tower of Freya), but believe it or not, it appears that I am almost near the end of the game. Yeah, the game is "that" short, you can easily finish the game within 12 hours or so. Anyway, what do I have to say about the game so far:

  • overall I thought Last Rebellion is more suited for a PS2 title, because the graphic is decent at best, the gameplay is alright (but draw many criticism, which I partly disagree), and the story/game length overall was rather short (about 12 hours playtime, as I mentioned before).
  • If you're familiar with the likes of Disgaea, then you'd probably be familiar with the graphic of the game. Nothing spectacular, but neat enough to please the eyes. Butsimilar to Nier, I thought they're not up to par with PS3's standard. But hey, video game is not all about graphic, aye?
  • the gameplay features basic turn-based system. In battle, you control 2 characters, Nine and Aisha alternately. The unique features of the gameplay is that to effectively beat the monster, you need to target specific body part of the monsters in the correct sequence. Then you need to "mark" those body part with physical attacks, so that they can be targeted with magic. Then when the monsters were defeated, you need to "seal" them or else they'll revive after a few turn and become even stronger.

example of how the battle in last Rebellion works, showing most of the basic stuff. It's actually much faster once you figure out the correct order of the monster's sequence, which you can easily find on guides.

  • In short the system was quite simple, but people make a big deal out of it as if they're difficult, which I disagree. No, the battle doesn't take too long and not as difficult as people complain because as long as you know the mechanics and how to exploit them, the battle become much easier and can easily be ended within 1 or 2 minutes. In fact, I thought the game was far too easy because I can't remember a single fight where I need to use healing spells or items.
  • The "slow" battle progression was balanced by fast rate of leveling. After a few hours into the game, without grinding you could easily reach level 30+ providing you efficiently make use of the battle mechanics.
  • I was kinda excited when I first see Sephi int he character list. But then I heard her English voice...damn it's those creeaky, annoying voice from Welch of Star Ocean 4. FFFFFFFFFFFF YOU SERIOUSLY RUIN IT щ(゚Д゚щ)



In short, while the game is not that impressive in many aspects, I find Last Rebellion a rather nice and relaxing game to play, considering the short length and ease of battle, as well as the banter between Nine and Aisha, which sometimes do made me laugh. It's probably not worth spending 60 bucks on the game, but definitely an option if you're looking for something to rent. I hope I could finish the game within the next 2 or 3 days.



I lol'd

2 comments:

Rid said...

romance? what about romance?

seraph said...

it did have some sort of romance, but the story was way too short for it to develop. To be exact, their romance was never that clear, even until after the credit roll -_-

hence as I mentioned in the post, it's probably a good idea not spending on money on this game (too short, really) and if you really want to play it, just rent the game or borrow.