Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Tales of Grace F...FINALLY!

I  nearly forgot that the NA release of the English version was out last month, yet I somehow can't find it anywhere in KL (specifically, at Low Yat), stock sold out in each and every store that I went. A month passed, it was not until a 2 weeks ago when the luck was on my side, that when I went to the gamestore I've used to go, there's a single stock of the game. FINALLY!!! Being a big fan of Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Vesperia, I was really looking forward to the English release of Tales of Grace. The graphic, the occasional humor, the character diversities, the real-time gameplay are just the kind of thing that I love for an jrpg.

\
Title: Tales of Grace F
Developer: Namco Bandai
Platform: PlayStation 3 (PS3)
Genre: Japanese role playing game [jrpg]
Release date: Dec 2010 [Japanese], March 2012 [NA]


Currently just a little bit after finishing Chapter 3, I have to admit that there's still a lot about this game that I have yet to know and explore. Things like Dueling, item quality and levels, title unlocking, arte mastering, Inn Requests....But still, I think I've already got a lot of good impression from the game so far. Some comments that I could think of:

-Nice gameplay as usual. "Style Shift Linear Motion Battle System", a somewhat modified battle system than any previous Tales series, where the gameplay emphasized more on players attacking, defending/evading/dashing and switching between A-style artes and B-style artes. Each action in battle now consumes CC (Chain Capacity), which limits how many combos you can do in a go.  Then there's Eleth Gauge (a bit like 2-sided OverLimit) and Critical gauge. 

-There's a lot of titles in this game. I mean, A LOT of titles. The main character, Asbel alone had 100 titles to collect. Some are easy to collect, but the last few ones are relatively tough. And the bad thing is, there's thophy required for these...Star Ocean 4's 100% Battle Trophies trophy anyone?


-Duelizing was quite a complex form of weapon/item customization. Fusing basic items were easy, but fusing weapons and shards, creating gems, creating uber traits etc can be confusing at first. I definitely need to read more about the mechanics.

-The story was okay so far, can't comment much since I haven't ventured that much into the game. I like the fact that the story started out with the character's Childhood years, then fast forward a few years to go to the Adult years (aka the main story). And apparently, there's also another part, the Future years which was available only to the PS3 release.

-The characters were also interesting, though I thought Vesperia's was better. Asbel was quite a changed man after joining the knights (kinda like how Luke fon Fabre changed after "that" incident"), Cheria's outfit was...kinda unfitting I think. Sophie's a loli, Pascal was one hell of an eccentric girl, Malik was kinda boring, Richard too, Hubert too. I wish there's a Jade Curtis-like character in Tales of Grace... Nevertheless, all of them made many of the scenes and skits enjoyable to watch with their unique personality and antics.

-The graphic is a given. I don't think I need to elaborate much on this, it still retains anime-style art with beautiful setting, while in battle, various flashy skills and effects were added to attacks and skills to make battles more, well, interesting. Music-wise, Motoi Sakuraba came with another masterpiece that suits well with Tales series. 

-Platinuming this game seems harder than I thought. It doesn't need to be as detailed as Vesperia (eg 100% items/monsters and such) and you won't easily miss many of the trophies (except beating some bosses in 1 min, which was really hard even on Easy), but to get a full Platinum, it seems like we need to grind. Grind for titles, inn requests, and grind for rare items...Well at least I didn't have to play the game 4 or 5 times, like I did with Vesperia just to Platinum it.


6 comments:

Shirt said...

Hey, Seraph! Forgot that you blogged. This is Shirt! XD

Wow, I didn't think it would be so scarce! I'm definitely going to pick this up after reading what you thought of it. You seem to get the same Tales feeling that's always there when playing a Tales game. And I like that.

Though you said the PS3 version gets a future story setting? Is there an Xbox 360 version? And do you think this game is worth buying a PS3 over? I'm getting a little bored with my Xbox Games at the moment. I mean I haven't finished FFXIII-2 yet but I'm gettin' there. (It's still fun so I'm taking my sweet time enjoying it like I do with most JRPGs. lol They don't come out too often.)

seraph said...

Hi Shirt, it's been awhile XD Haven't logged into MAL for quite some time >.>

yeah the game was quite rare here because it was NA release, so it's not supposed to be released yet.

You should definitely give the game a try, the gameplay was similar to other Tales yet it has many other features that made the game feel fresh and unique.

as far as I concern, the english version was released for PS3 only, so if you really love Tales series, I definitely think you should buy a PS3 for the game (just like me, buying a 360 solely because of Vesperia XD).
There's really not much english jrpg around these days, but for now I'll just concentrate on finishing and platinuming Tales of Grace. Great game.

Shirt said...

Lol I didn't know you bought a 360 for Vesperia. That's awesome. I will look into a decent priced PS3 then. I can't wait to play me some more Tales games. I was looking for Abyss also because I never played it but I think I'll just watch the anime series first and then hop on that quest later.

Also, do you know the situation with the NA Release of Tales of Vesperia for the PS3? I'm curious to know if it is something still worth hoping for.

seraph said...

Abyss is also quite good, although I think the gameplay is less entertaining than Vesperia, the story is much better developed and logical. Plus Jade Curtis is awesome :3
Go ahead and give the anime a try.

As for PS3 Vesperia, I'm not really sure how far has the translation been done. For sure, there's no news on official translation, sadly : (

Shirt said...

I'm playing Abyss right now and I'm only about a couple hours in. I'm to a point where Luke was fighting against Arietta on the roof of a castle. (That battle took me 15 attempts before I decided to level grind and STILL lose till I won. Total Sex.)

The story is very good and my expectations were very much satisfied and exceeded with the game. So happy to be playing a Tales game again. x3

Don't know how much more game there's left for Abyss right now but it is most pleasing to play it. Brings as much joy as watching anime. Lol!

seraph said...

Yeah Abyss was quite good. The Fonon/Fon change system was nice for comboing, and the story was the best out of all Tales series I;ve played so far. Jade is definitely awsm lol.


If you had trouble, maybe you can try playing at lower difficulty. It's in the option. Or try to familiarize with the gameplay first. It's easy once you know how to manipulate Fon circle.

Love it when Luke having a fight and bickering with Tears lol