Pages

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

The Impression Series: Winter 2011/2012 [Part 2]


Another
MAL/Official site
Genre: thriller, horror, mystery, psychological
Studio Production: P.A Works
Number of Episodes: 12
Comments: The very first thing that came up to my mind when I watched the first half of episode 1: “this seems like a very promising horror/thriller”. 4 episodes on, and the series truly exceed my expectations, I’m truly amazed. With each passing episodes, I simply want MORE of them. I haven't had this excitement of watching a horror since what, the first season of Higurashi? Back to the basics, ANOTHER basically tells a story of a transfer student Sakakibara Koichi who was placed in a mysterious, awkward class 3 at his new school. Awkward because of many things, but the main thing that concerned him was the presence of a really old seat at the edge of the class, and the fact that his classmates seems to be hiding something from him. And as a curious boy he is, Koichi ended up trying to poke into matters that he “probably” shouldn’t has. I probably shouldn't tell more about the story because it's best left unspoiled, the thrill and suspense totally excites me in each episode! Overall this series gave me the vibes of Higurashi, Shiki and Ookamikakushi – creepy, gloomy at times, mysterious, thrill, horror and....death. Everything about the anime managed to convey this horror atmosphere well. The animation was great; the scenes were drawn really well to describe the dark and gloomy nature of the story (especially the occasional creepy dolls that appeared once in awhile early in the series). The eerie musics when it comes to certain scenes are just perfect to add to the creepiness. TOTALLY enjoyed the show!
p/s: evil Chihiro
Verdict: 5/5 (Must. Watch)




Ano Natsu de Matteru
MAL/Official site
Genre: Comedy, Romance
Studio Production: J.C. Staff
Number of Episodes: 12
Comments: What’s this….Onegai Teacher v2? As what you'd expect from the same creator, the similarity with Onegai Teacher was quite apparent...in a lot of aspects. The main character Kaito, the alien Ichika, the friends Kanna, Mio, Remon and Tetsurou and their relations to each other were almost a carbon copy of their counterpart in Onegai Teacher. I’d even say that Remon didn’t even change since Ichigo in OT. Only a tweak in story, and we got Ano Natsu de Matteru. The vintage setting featuring suburb location with lots of beautiful sceneries and the comforting background music were great as it brings back the good memories of Onegai Teacher and Onegai Twins (and I love the latter). A recycled idea I’d say, but still refreshing and fun to watch for me. The comedies made me smiles, and being a school comedy romance, things like misunderstanding and unrequited love are inevitable. Youth times, huh. I personally like Kanna compared to other girls though, her voice kinda fit with her face and personality.
p/s: Highschool of the Dead movie in my animu D :
Verdict: 4/5 (watching)




Nisemonogatari
MAL/Official site
Genre: Comedy, Psychological, Supernatural
Studio Production:
Number of Episodes:
Comments: When Bakemonogatari first aired some years ago, I'm awed by SHAFT's effort to make it unique and very interesting (as they've always had with SZS, Maria Holic etc). Now we have the sequel in Nisemonogatari, pretty much a continuation of [part of] the story where Oshino left and one of the culprit who tortured Senjogahara in season 1 making a comeback. The plot doesn't really differed much than the first season, except that now we're more exposed to the likes of Araragi's two little sisters, and Shinobu. Overall I wouldn't say I'm not enjoying it because I certainly am, but rather the story so far doesn't really had anything that surpassed my expectation from whatever I watched in its prequel. One thing that Nisemonogatari has never failed to amazed me is the dialogue - always witty and although tend to get draggy, often comes with a good blend of humors and brilliant lines. The animation was top notch as always, and now it feel a lot less cluttered and easier to the eyes. Enjoyable? Yes, but so far, not as much as I enjoy season 1, and I hope the next few episodes can change my perception.
Verdict: 3.5/5 (watching)




Papa no Iukoto wo Kikinasai
MAL/Official site
Genre: romance, comedy, slice of life
Studio Production: Feel
Number of Episodes: 12
Comments: It looks like a harem romance comedy series at first, but as I watched more episodes, I realized that the series is more than that. Papakiki tells a story about Segawa Yuta, a freshman university student, whom due to a certain incident, suddenly found himself in an unlikely position of being the guardian of his sister’s three daughters, Sora, Miu and Hina. In that respect, Yuta’s situation reminded me a lot to Usagi Drop – the difficulty he faced from raising the three girls all alone while balancing with his study and work. In real life, I could never imagine someone able to do all that…The plot developed rather slow (it’s not until episode 2 and three that the whole matter about being the girls’s guardian was settled), but I'm fine with the pace because, well, it doesn't feel rushed. While sometimes amusing and fun to watch, I gotta say episode 2 and 3 gave made me sad and touching more than hilarity, but it’s a good sign that the story actually had some substances rather than an empty harem comedy show. Nevertheless although the story focused on Yuta and the three girl’s daily lives, once in awhile we did see the people at Yuta’s “Sightseeing” Club getting involved with the story, and I’m certainly interested to see how the voluptuous Raika mixed into all this mess in Yuta’s university life.
p/s: Sako = Daru.
Verdict: 3.5/5 (watching)


Also got the likes of Inu x Boku SS and Recorder to Randoseru in my watchlist, but I guess I don't really need to write a lengthy impression on those. Oh yeah, I'm kinda inclined to watch Black Rock Shooter, but maybe I'll do that...much later. Winter seems a lot crowded in my watchlist this year compared to the last -_-

0 comments: